Friday, October 21, 2011

Isang Litrong Liwanag

I think the direct translation of "Isang Litrong Liwanag" is something along the lines of "A Liter of Light" or "The Solar Bottle Bulb."



I was just rummaging around the internets when I came across this website http://isanglitrongliwanag.org/

Well honestly I saw this video first which brought me to the website

This is one of the coolest things I've seen and look at how much it has helped people!
The video takes place in Sitio Maligaya which is in the Philippines I think. The area is very poor and very cramped. The homes are very dark and they cannot always afford electricity for their homes. So this guy, the Solar Demi, brought light into these people's home with a simple hole in the roof/ceiling, filled with a plastic bottle filled with basically water (and other things) and ta dah, the folks have light in their home.

I suggest you watch the video since I probably didn't explain it all too gracefully. So http://isanglitrongliwanag.org/ is asking you all to help out. I only just found out about this right before I started this post so I'm not 100% sure how to help. If any of you find out, let me know! There are buttons for donations, volunteers, and how you can help on the website, so click on one and see what it is you can do.

How to make a bottle

You will need...


Step 1


Step 2

Step 3

Step 4


Step 5
Fill the bottle with water and ~10 mL (2 capfuls) of bleach


Those are the general steps, there are more instructions here at instructables

Save your plastic bottles!!

No comments:

Post a Comment